30 December 2015

DIY Deer Head Wall Art



17 November 2015


DIY Deer Head Wall Art



It was a rainy Friday a few weeks ago, and I had stocked up on a few supplies at JoAnn's Fabrics previously, so it was the perfect day to tackle a project!


Here's the supply list:

  • Artist's canvas
  • Linen fabric (mine was from Ikea)
  • Black felt
  • Deer head silhouette
  • Stabilizer (WunderUnder)
  • Sewing machine, thread, scissors, iron
I obtained the deer head silhouette from a google search, and printed it on a regular 8-1/2x11" sheet o paper. Then, I traced the pattern onto the WunderUnder


Next, I cut out the pattern using regular paper scissors.


And ironed it onto the black felt


I used fabric scissors to cut the pattern out of the black felt


And peeled off the paper from the stabilizer


At this point, I realized that I should've traced the pattern onto the wrong side of the WonderUnder, as now my final product was going to be reversed. I was okay with it facing the opposite way, but if I were doing letters it would've needed to have been a mirror image.

I centred the deer head onto the linen fabric and fused the fabrics together by ironing them



We then headed downstairs to my sewing machine and did a blanket stitch around all of the body and head edges. Along the antlers, I just did a straight stitch in the middle.



Of course, I have an audience when I sew. This is MiniMan's latest pose! I love that he set up his friends to join the audience.



Apparently I stopped taking pictures of the process at this point!

But, to finish, I simply wrapped the linen around the canvas and stapled the back of the frame

And, here is my finish product, as part of my fall mantle display!



After fall, I think it might find a home in the boys' bedroom

So pleased with how easy the project was, and that I could complete it in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment