30 December 2015

Design Preview

Design Preview

Designing a home....something I always dreamed of doing "someday"!  And, of course, it's a tad more overwhelming than I had ever imagined.  In a perfect world I would've had oodles of time to browse through Pinterest and Houzz for inspiration for every room.  However, with 6 weeks from open house to closing, and just 4 weeks of reno time, things have been a slight whirlwind of choices.

But I thought you might enjoy a sneak peak of what I've selected!  Here is a collection I've gathered so far...


Our flooring throughout the mainfloor (except powder bath, laundry room, and foyer), will be the laminate planks.  We chose this for pure practicality - scratch proof, dent proof was music to our ears after watching the kids dent and scratch our hardwood!  I also wanted the look of barn board planks, and engineered hardwood just didn't fit in our budget.  We selected theTorly's QuickStep Largo Cambridge Oak Dark Planks.



Those planks are 8"x80"!  So excited to see how it looks!

Also above is our carpet sample for the staircase, upstairs hallway, and all 4 bedrooms.  It's the Mohawk Dupont Soothing Effects Smartstrand Silk in Luminous  

Sorry for the backdrop of the original vinyl - it wasn't a very good backdrop for a photo session.  It's hard to pick out, but I've laid one of the 12"x24" tile samples that will be laid in the foyer.

Next up, the kitchen!


We purchased the Ikea Adel cabinets - I love the classic Shaker style of them, the price fit our budget, and it's white.  Well, not quite white, but I can live with the slight off-white.  It's warm and yet crisp and clean...so excited for a white kitchen.

I drooled over the quartz samples at the store...ooh la la!  I instantly gravitated to the one above and I think this will be our one splurge item in the whole project!

The bathroom tile I'm still finalizing the choices, so I'll feature that in another post another day.

Now onto paint...I would've loved to have gone very light - even white - throughout the whole house.  But, alas, that's not practical with toddlers.


Like my classic wall sample board?!  I'm usually pretty good at knowing the colour and look that I'm going for.  I've usually chosen Benjamin Moore in the past, and for a project this big I tried using Benjamin Moore colours with Home Depot's Behr paint.  They lured me in with their paint sale, and boy have I wasted a ton of time with them!  I've bought multiple sample cans, but every single one has turned purple.  Definitely not what I'm looking for!  I finally went to the Benjamin Moore store and bought the sample can of Revere Pewter to compare.  As you can see above, the BM sample is on the far right, and the ones on the left come nowhere close.  So, I will not be trusting Home Depot anymore.  I've learned my lesson and I now believe that BM is worth the extra cost!

And, when I put everything together on the floor, I decided that BM's Revere Pewter isn't going to match close enough.

But have no fear - I found a new favourite!  BM's Thunder.  You can Pinterest search it for pinspiration...I'm liking what I see so far! 


That's all for today...hope you enjoyed a peak into my world of home design!

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment